Suggest remedy for alcohol addiction

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: My girlfriend drinks to excess alone or in the car when she is driving. She usually has between 3-6 glasses of wine. She is 50, drunk, incredibly beligerent and nasty when drunk. She does this 2-3 times per week ruining everything and everyone around her including family. She is remorseful the next day but the cycle continues. Im worried so much. What can she take for treatment, how to abstain for good? this has been going on for 5 years.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benzodiazepines with supplemental thiamine

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Helathcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.
From the available description it seems that she is suffering with binge drinking with possible alcohol dependence.

Ideally it should be treated in deaddiction center as chances of complication like wernicke's encephalopathy is much more high in a women in compare to men who drinks five glasses of wine.

In case that is not suitable, then she should get prescription for Librium while quitting along with supplemental Thiamine of 200-300 mg per day. In regard to Librium for average weight healthy women it can be started from 100 mg divided dosage from day 1 and to be reduced 15-20 mg per day to stop it after 6-8 days.

These two medicines help in controlling the withdrawal symptoms and prevent development of complications.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.

Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee