Suggest remedies for vomiting, fatigue and fever while on Vancomycin

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had an infected replaced hip since XXXXXXX Had surgery July 29 to clean it out and was on clyindmycian until XXXXXXX 5. Had surgery again Feb.3 to clean it out again and now on IV meds for 6 weeks.Vancomycin 1000mg every 12 hrs. Then 1 Rifampin every 12 hrs. I've been on the Rifampin since last Thursday (2/16) By friday I was vomiting, running a 101.6 temp. and weak as can be. To day the vomiting is gone but my strength isn't coming back yet. I was off of the Rifampin until today. Any idea what may be going on? XXXXXXX J Harvego
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

If the fever is settling down with a downward trend and not spiking upwards then the septicemia can be termed to be settling and resolving. A single reading may not give the appropriate full picture. Based on your history, it appears to be septicemia and your doctor is suspecting MRSA (Methicillin resistant staph aureus). Thus prescribing vancomycin cover. They need to be continued. Blood counts can be done to look for a rising TLC in conjunction with the fever. Nausea and vomiting can occur with both vancomycin and rifampicin. Domeperidone or dimenhydranate can be advised for that in addition to PPIs or ranitidine. Weakness is also expected and your strength is likely to improve when the infection gets resolved.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil