Suggest remedies for severe migraine headache

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I get severe migraine headache almost once every 2 days. Its really painful. Please help
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
start migraine prophylaxis

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting me directly.

In treatment of migraine two types of treatment approach is there.

1. When frequency is less (say once in a month), one can take pain killer medicines (like Naproxyn-D, Diclofenac or from triptan group) as soon as he/she feels headache.

2. When frequency is more (say once or twice in a week or more). it is better to have prophylactic treatment. In this propranolol, amitriptyline or sodium valproate are used. One of them or more should be used daily for 3-4 months to prevent headache.

You have frequency of once every 2 days. I recommend prophylaxis treatment in your case with propranolol and amitriptyline. You can ask your doctor for the prescription.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.