Suggest remedies for severe chest pain post surgery

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I had acdf surgery c3-4 18 months ago and have suffered sever chest pains ever since like some one sitting on my chest, I can just work through the pain which eases after about 4-6 hrs but on my days off it wont go away, I can't walk far although my job is a milkman, but I have to persevere, I also have 2 full thickness ruptured rotator cuff muscles and a ruptured biscep tendon which I had before the surgery, the surgeon who carried out the operation has never come across this before and I am now getting suicidal thoughts, I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life and no one seems to want to help me
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

FIRST THING I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU IS, LIFE IS PRECIOUS.

I being a doctor and seen over 15,000 patients till now in last 15 years, have seen many patients with crippling and worst conditions like cancer, tumours and incurable life threatening diseases have fought for their lives.

I do feel bad for you, but i personally feel ,that even though you may be going through a lot of pain and trouble, you should understand that there are much worse diseases than yours and relatively we are in a better condition.

As far as your present complaints are concerned, after c3-4 surgery some amount of pain in the nerves is bound to remain as the nerves in that region are very thin and delicate. A cervical collar should be worn while you work.

U can use some safe analgesics and do some neck exercises to strenghthen your neck muscles.

ruptured rotator and biceps muscles have been opearted and will cause some trouble as these are related to shoulder joint. Exercises will help.
You should see a councellor to avoid suicidal thoughts.

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.

I NEED A PROMISE FROM YOU THAT YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVEN THINK OF SUICIDE. Whenever you need any kind of help,be it medical or moral support, i will always be there for you

I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
I have been told by all my close friends that I am a fighter and they are amazed at how well I have got on with my life and managed to continue to work with my injuries so I will make you a promise which I will keep[ to stop the suicidal thoughts.
I have noticed from this site that Ibuprofen is not recommended with the surgery that I underwent however this is what my Doctor has prescribed for me for my shoulder injury, should I stop taking them ?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
query answered

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back

THANKS FOR THE PROMISE : )

THERE IS NO SUCH CONTRA INDICATION FOR IBUPROFEN. oNLY THING IS THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN FOR LONGER PERIODS OF TIME DAILY.

you can take drugs like paracetamol, tramadol, piroxicams, etodolac.. which can be used for long periods.

I hope your question has been answered.
If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to consult me anytime.
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion. Wish you a good health.Have a great day : )
Take care,God bless.      
YOUR RATING FOR THIS ANSWER MATTERS A LOT AND WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 21 hours later
Hi Again
you say that I should wear a neck brace for work but the surgery was 18 months ago would that be necessary so long after the operation ?
I understand that the surgery I had can cause complications of many sorts but have you ever known it to cause mine which I have been told is similar to Angina

It is so nice to finally find someone to listen to me by the way, thank you for that
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
query answered

Detailed Answer:
hey XXXXXXX .

feels nice to see you again..

getting a surgery 18 months ago doesnt guarantee that th symptoms wont arise again..

There are total 7 cervical discs, and sfter surgery, the spine usually becomes a little weak.

So to avoid further aggravation of problems, you should wear brace whenever there are chances of load on the spine, like during work,travelling, driving vehicle etc.

You can remove it during relaxation,sleep and while eating something.

i have had heard a few cases like yours in my clinic, and as a special friend of mine, i dont want you to suffer more now..

I hope your question has been answered.

Take care,God bless.

YOUR RATING FOR THIS ANSWER MATTERS A LOT AND WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar