Suggest remedies for pulmonary embolism

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi there. I recently under went a CTA Chest Scan to rule out a Pulmonary Embolism. The good news is that everything looked great and while the Pulmonary Embolism has been ruled out, the scan did turn up a 4mm nodule at the left lung base and I am wondering if this is cause for significant concern.

I am a 48 year old female, non-smoker (although I did grow up with smokers in my childhood) who has lived in Arizona for the last 35 years. I do not have any other XXXXXXX issues of which I am aware and no respiratory issues at all. My concern is that this may be a malignancy and I am interested in your recommendations and next steps.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I look forward to your quick reply.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of malignant nodule is very very less.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Since you are non smoker ans not having respiratory symptoms, possibility of malignant nodule is very very less.
This nodule is just an accidental finding.
So no need to worry for lung cancer.
According to the guidelines, you should get done repeat CT scan after 9-12 months.
If nodule is same or decreasing in size then no need to worry for malignant nodule.
If nodule is increasing in size then further investigations are needed to confirm the etiology.
So at present, no need to worry for lung cancer, get done CT scan after 9-12 months.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.