Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedies for perianal cysts

Answered by
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1995

Answered : 2287 Questions

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Can a emergency room physician diagnose and treat a perineum cyst and or is this better left to a specialist. Secondly do all cysts have to be drained versus taking antibiotics and possibly a cortisone shot?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It has to be treated by a specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Perianal cysts/abscess has to be treated by a specialist only.
Once pus is formed,Antibiotics and cortisone doesn't help.The pus has to be drained out.
If it is a cyst, I prefer to remove the entire cyst with outer layer to prevent recurrence. I prefer to do the procedures under Spinal anaesthesia /short General anaesthesia.
Nothing to worry.
Please consult your surgeon and proceed further.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. How would I know if puss is present? The cyst is small and hasn't really come to a "head" A miniscule amount of pus secreted about a week ago. I have virtually no pain and its very small in size. Additionally it appears to be getting smaller in size.

Is the cyst something that could go away on its own? How do I know if I should see a specialist?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anal fistula has to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:
Pus coming from a small wound on and off could be an Anal fistula. There will be communication into rectum /Anal canal.
This has to be excluded by specialist only.
Unless the lesion is examined clinically, it is difficult to diagnose.
Please consult a Specialist and proceed further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Perineum

doctor1 MD

Hi, my perineum is swollen and sore, my pelvic area where my legs meet the pubic bone is very tender to the touch on both sides and also my breasts are a bit tender, have also been experiencing some lower back pain, task bone area the last few days. Not sure if it s all related but all symptoms have appeared in the last few days. I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago, haven t had any sexual activity in over a month. What could be the cause?

doctor1 MD

how can I diagnose and treat pubococcygeus muscle spasm. I am a 68 year old man who is also on flomax for BPH. I have had a normal cystoscopy, pelvic CT, normal PSA (1.0) and normal exam by my Internist and Urologist. But, I continue to have nocturuia, urgency, hesitency and tightness and pressure in my perineum, rectum and tip of the penis.

doctor1 MD

my perineal raphe doesn´t really seem normal. it is a small line that opens up into a half inch sized brown spot, then continues to be a line until the top of the penis. it is as if the line has opened, maybe by masturbation? i dont know. it it bad? can it be fixed?

doctor1 MD

I am a 49 year old female. Lately I have been experiencing itching in the anal area. My perineum also feels very swollen and sore. My stools are normal and I do not have heommoroids. I am in a long term relationship so there is not possibility of an std.

doctor1 MD

Semen culture previously grew enterococcus feacialis S. I've been taking leavquin 500Mg for 3 months and symptoms are still there and my urologist said he can't help me after 4 months. What can I do if symptoms are still there. Can this bacteria...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had peyronies disease with a ring about 1 inch past the insid of the skin on my abdomen. I had surgery and had the placque removed and an implant installed it has been 5 months and I hav ejaculated twice on the sevent week out and now I can...

doctor1 MD

vagina irritation or herpes????