Suggest remedies for perianal cysts

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Can a emergency room physician diagnose and treat a perineum cyst and or is this better left to a specialist. Secondly do all cysts have to be drained versus taking antibiotics and possibly a cortisone shot?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It has to be treated by a specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Perianal cysts/abscess has to be treated by a specialist only.
Once pus is formed,Antibiotics and cortisone doesn't help.The pus has to be drained out.
If it is a cyst, I prefer to remove the entire cyst with outer layer to prevent recurrence. I prefer to do the procedures under Spinal anaesthesia /short General anaesthesia.
Nothing to worry.
Please consult your surgeon and proceed further.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. How would I know if puss is present? The cyst is small and hasn't really come to a "head" A miniscule amount of pus secreted about a week ago. I have virtually no pain and its very small in size. Additionally it appears to be getting smaller in size.

Is the cyst something that could go away on its own? How do I know if I should see a specialist?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anal fistula has to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pus coming from a small wound on and off could be an Anal fistula. There will be communication into rectum /Anal canal.
This has to be excluded by specialist only.
Unless the lesion is examined clinically, it is difficult to diagnose.
Please consult a Specialist and proceed further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad