Suggest remedies for migraine

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I been experiencing migraine symptoms . What is good too take. I feel a little groggy and light headed. My vision is fine . I use to have migraine s back in 04. I was seeing what was safe to take being that I was taking indomethacin but hadn't taken any since last week. I'm also drinking a joint supplement for my joints.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it depends on the severity

Detailed Answer:

for mild to moderate symptoms the most commonly used drugs will be helpful. The less potent drug is paracetamol (acetaminophen) but it also has less side effects than any other drug for this use. Opioids can be used in combination with other painkillers. NSAID is the next choice. Indomethacin is one of them. And there are more specific drugs for migraine like sumatriptan and the like. These drugs have to be used at the start of the attack and they are used only once or twice (at the most). They're very effective to reduce the severity of the symptoms and even drive away the attack in some patients/cases.

When the attacks are frequent (more than a couple of them in a month), treatment between attacks is indicated. There are many choices like tricyclic antidepressants, calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, valproic acid, gabapentin, etc. Factors that may trigger an attack should be identified and avoided like alcohol use, caffeine overuse or withdrawal, aspartame, caffeine, lack of sleep, etc.

Before using any drug you should consult your doctor! Some drugs for migraine (particularly the triptans) may have some serious untoward effects to certain individuals. High blood pressure, history of cardiovascular disease, etc are conditions that require extreme caution!

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 26 hours later
I was diagnosed with neck arthritis and it is hard to sleep on my side. Any suggestions for sleeping. Firm or soft pillows, or non. Is supplemental juices good for joints
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the pillow that fits you best...

Detailed Answer:
Regarding the pillow type, you should pick what fits best to you. Just try to have your neck straight (not bent). There is not a single answer for everyone...
Juices are generally fine for your health but don't expect improvements in joint problems.

Kind Regards!