Suggest remedies for migraine headache for a thyroid patient
Migraine therapy in Thyroid patient
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking. You have not specified whether your wife is hypo or hyperthyroid. Both conditions have different contraindications. I will mention only those drugs which can be taken in both conditions so that you will be having minimum difficulty in understanding.
Migraine treatment aims
: prevention of attack
: Control of attack
:Prevention of attack means decreasing attack frequency. Medication like Amitriptyline , Botulinum injection are safe in thyroid patient. Another common drug Propranolol, cannot be used in case of Hypothyroidism.
Ask your wife to avoid trigger factors like emotional stress, certain foods like chocolate/cheese/tomato, skipping of meal, season change.
:Control of attack means treating pain attack after its occurrence. Bad migraine are usually not responsive to NSAIDS like Diclofenac/Ibuprofen etc. You can give her Sumatriptan or Ergotamine or other triptans after proper prescription. These medication are contraindicated with heart disease.
If she is having vomiting with attacks, you can give her Domperidone after proper prescription.
Bad migraine is usually managed by combination of drugs.
Hope it will help you. If still no relief, you can consult doctor.
Dr Ishu Bishnoi
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Oxyelite pro and migraine headaches
- Migraine headache with shivering
- Join military with migraine headache
- What treatment is suggested for migraine headache
- Pontalon for migraine headache
- Steroid withdrawal migraine headache
- Migraine headache and cashew nuts
- Migraine headache with itchy rash
- Sticky stool migraine headache
- Migraine headaches after rhinoplasty
- What causes feeling of fluid rushing from throat to base of spine?
- Suggest remedies for migraine headache for a thyroid patient
- What do my MRI scan test report indicate?
- What causes lower back pain while on bladder control product?
- Is there a nerve in back that would cause numbness in foot?
- What causes sharp pain in back of head and neck?
- Suggest treatment for migraine
- Suggest treatment for side effects of Depakote
- Does intake of Dart help in treating headache?
- What causes tingling and pain in hands and feet?