• question-icon

Suggest remedies for migraine headache for a thyroid patient

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: what meds can you take for very bad migraine headaches when you have thyroid disease
Tks (question for wife) XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Migraine therapy in Thyroid patient

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking. You have not specified whether your wife is hypo or hyperthyroid. Both conditions have different contraindications. I will mention only those drugs which can be taken in both conditions so that you will be having minimum difficulty in understanding.

Migraine treatment aims
: prevention of attack
: Control of attack

:Prevention of attack means decreasing attack frequency. Medication like Amitriptyline , Botulinum injection are safe in thyroid patient. Another common drug Propranolol, cannot be used in case of Hypothyroidism.

Ask your wife to avoid trigger factors like emotional stress, certain foods like chocolate/cheese/tomato, skipping of meal, season change.

:Control of attack means treating pain attack after its occurrence. Bad migraine are usually not responsive to NSAIDS like Diclofenac/Ibuprofen etc. You can give her Sumatriptan or Ergotamine or other triptans after proper prescription. These medication are contraindicated with heart disease.

If she is having vomiting with attacks, you can give her Domperidone after proper prescription.

Bad migraine is usually managed by combination of drugs.

Hope it will help you. If still no relief, you can consult doctor.

Thanks
Dr Ishu Bishnoi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical