Suggest remedies for knee osteoarthritis

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i Have mild to moderate bilateral knee osteoarthrosis and quadriceps tendom insertional enthesopathy.What I have to do.What will help mi.Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
PT, supplements, exercise

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Since you are already on pain medications and salazopyrin I will suggest other treatments that may be helpful.
for the Osteoarthrosis
If you can get physical therapy that will help you learn exercises to do at home that will strengthen the muscles around the knees. This will put less strain on the joints. In addition, the supplement glucosamine at 1500 mg per day can also help relieve knee joint pain. It does not work like a pain pill and you would need to take it for about a month at least to notice a difference. If you have a lot of swelling an elastic knee brace or ace wrap may help stabilize the knee and provide some support. Regular gentle exercise like walking can help keep the knees from becoming stiff.
for the Enthesopathy
Physical therapy can help with this also. You do not want to strain the tendons so gentle exercise and plenty of rest is best. In some cases doctors will recommend an injection around the tendon if pain or inflammation is severe.
I hope you get some relief soon
Dr. Robinson