Suggest remedies for dental abscess and swollen face

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: I have dental abscess. My face is swollen and I am scheduled to have the teeth taken out next week, but I'm in so much pain
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You also need painkillers..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain if you have a Dental Abscess that occurs when there is Pus formation below the root tips of the tooth and is commonly secondary to tooth infection..

The pus creates excessive pressure over the nerve endings in that area and causes pain..

Antibiotics can reduce infection but to relieve pain you need to take painkiller like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac etc..
In case of severe pain Tramadol or Ketorolac can also be taken..

You should also consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and an x ray of tooth should be taken..

In case if tooth is in a condition to be saved then Root Canal Treatment can help in saving the tooth and also relieving pain permanently..
In case of gross decay extraction will be done..

As of now you should take Painkillers along with antibiotics after consulting a local Physician/Dentist and also do cool compresses over the swelling..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 40 minutes later
Okay i have an appointment in a week to have the teeth removed.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get treated soon..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

You should not delay your treatment as the infection can spread to deeper tissues and cause cellulitis..
Till you get treated antibiotics and painkillers should be continued..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
I went er and they gave me antibiotic.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue the same..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You can continue with the antibiotics advised to you by the ER and can add painkillers for pain..

Hope this helps..

Regards..