Suggest remedies for colic in a child

Posted on Tue, 27 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Does medical should be given everyday.my baby is of 7 weeks.she is quite good from morning to evening.but she suddenly cries at nights.at that time she won't drink my milk and also bottle milk.she rejects both.at that time I m giving Her medical triclofos oral solution B.P.let me know why she is crying at nights and can I give pedicalm if this kind of situation arise daily.and is there any syrup not to repeat this situation that my baby rejects my milk and bottle milk and she cries all night.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Avoid giving Tricolofos

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform
I have gone through the detail and do understand your concern.
Intermittent excessive crying episodes in an otherwise normal baby can be due to various reason and one of the most common cause is colic.
Sleep cycle of baby of this age is different from those of older one and it gets normal by age of 6-8 months.Baby may cry in the night because of hunger,soiling of diaper,colic or nasal blockade (causing difficulty in breathing)
Feed your baby frequently as baby may avoid feed and starts excessive crying if remain hungry for longer duration.
Pedicalm contains Tricolfos which is a sedative and should be avoided as it may cause drug dependence.
I suggest you to give some colic drops like colicaid to provide relief from colic.Also put some nasal saline drop if you are suspecting any nasal blockade.
I won't get overly worried as the baby behaves normal in between but still I request you to consult a pediatrician for clinical evaluation to rule out any abnormality.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology