Suggest remedies for a small red pus filled bump on the wrist

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my daughter (age 27) was bitten by something about 2 weeks ago on her wrist while we were at the pool. we live in XXXXXXX GA. it has opened up to be a small red hole with what looks like white pus in it and has also swelled up. she has pain all the way up her arm and into her armpit. she has a low grade fever and feels somewhat nauseous. she went to an urgent care clinic today and they put bactroban and a band aid on it and said to apply moist heat often. should she be doing something else? (ie. the er)?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti inflammatory tablet has to be added .

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the pics.
The area below the wrist got infected and inflamed.
Apart from Bactroban which is an Antibiotic, she needs Anti inflammatory tablet twice daily.
I prefer Amoxycillin with potassium clauvulanate tablet twice daily for 1 week or till symptoms subside instead of Bactroban.
Instead of simply applying Band aid,please apply Povidone iodine ointment at that site.
You can continue hot fomentation.
Nothing to worry. It will come down.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D