Suggest remedies for a red, swollen lump on the anus area

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a lump in my exterior anus area that has grown throughout the day. It is red and swollen. I am not running a temperature. It appears to be approx. 1 cm long. It is located on a hemorrhoid that is normally not swollen or irritated. I have not had a recent injury. I have had to travel by car extensively in the past week. I'm not sure if I should go to the ER or wait and go to the clinic in the morning. Is there any self care at home that I can do? I have treated the area with hemorrhoid cream throughout the day with no noticeable effect.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be a Thrombosed haemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description, it looks like a Thrombosed haemorrhoid. Haemorrhoid may get complicated by Blood clot , i. e,Thrombosed .It will cause redness and severe pain.
There are two methods of dealing this.One is to reduce the swelling by applying Local Magnesium sulphate on a surgical pad and do surgery later once the edema has come down.
I prefer to remove the swelling immediately under regional anaesthesia.
Another possibility is a Perianal abscess.It has to be operated immediately.
So,please go to ER , get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
Haemorrhoidal cream is not of much help.You can have sitz bath i. e,sitting on a pan containing warm water and Betadine solution. That swelling should be immersed in warm water.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon