Suggest permanent solution to treat ingrown hair in pubic area after shaving

Dr. Srilatha Myaka

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 18, Caucasian, and female. Other than this problem, I am completely healthy and not overweight. I have thick pubic hair that tends to cause ingrown hairs when shaven; however, these bumps seem different. They are recurring in areas, and swell up with pus and blood until I drain them. I have always had at least one for several years and they are affecting my quality of life. Should I consider laser hair removal? A different method of shaving or waxing? Is this something more serious?
Answered by Dr. Srilatha Myaka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Laser is permanent solution

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear
I can understand your concern.
I have seen your images.
In my opinion nature of hair is determined by our genetics.

In grown hair: In this condition whenever you trim hair it will grow in inward direction causing trouble.
This condition can be reduced by following some tips
1. Daily moisturizer and olive oil massage.
2. Daily use a scrub for 2 times.
3. Use warm compression for painful region.
4. Before removing the hair allow the skin to get moist for 15 minutes which will make hair easy to cut and prevent coiling.
Please don't drain the pus by yourself as it might get infected try seeing a doctor. You can apply topical antibiotics like Mupirocin over bumps.

It is not serious condition.
But ultimately laser is the best and permanent solution.
Laser treatment need to be done in multiple seating’s depending on response.
Other options like electrolysis are also available but less effective than laser.

Dr sree

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju