Suggest over-the-counter medication for lower left abdominal pain

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I have pain on my lower left side abdomen. Feels like diverticulitis or diverticulotos which I have had before.
I am a reasonably healthy male, 77 years old, 5'8" tall and weigh 190 lbs. Any over the counter remedies, or should I just go to the hospital?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, best to go in to the ER to be seen.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given your history of having had diverticular disease, I recommend you go in to the ER where they can do an exam, get a complete blood count to check your white blood count, and possibly also do an abdominal CT if warranted. And then they will typically give you an antibiotic if it is acute diverticulitis.

Without being able to examine you, I am hesitant to suggest any home remedies as I don't want, if this is an uncomplicated acute diverticulitis, for it to turn into a complicated diverticulitis and increase the level of care you need to recover from it.