Suggest non-surgical treatment for grade 4 adenoids in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son is 3 yr and 2 month old and he has grade 4 adenoid. Dr suggested us the surgery but can we avoid surgry because he is too small and any coplication after surgry
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon the severity of symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The size of the adenoids starts regressing automatically after around three and a half years of age and unless the respiratory tract is significantly encroached upon my the enlargement, or unless there are frequent and recurrent episodes of respiratory infections or ear infections (7 times in a year, or more for three years) surgery is not needed. However, significant airway obstruction as in grade 4, also warrants surgery. Depending on the severity of symptoms, it can be assessed whether surgery is really needed in the case of your child.

Details of the indications of surgery can be found at:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lary.0000

If averted, probably the surgery can be averted altogether and subsequently the size will regress anyway. But if the problem of ear infection and airway obstruction are too severe, surgery would be the only option.