Suggest medication for tremors

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My hands shake badly. Not so much where it prevents me from doing things, but enough to make it difficult. I read some place that dopamine would help prevent some of the shaking. Where can I buy dopamine and does this really help?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You must know the TYPE of tremor you have first

Detailed Answer:
Good evening ma'am. My name is Dr. Saghafi and I'm a neurologist with many patients suffering from tremors and shakes. Your description of the problem to me does not sound like one that would require dopamine but rather another agent such as propranolol or atenolol.

Tremors fall into 2 broad categories. Those which get worse upon actions (most commonly seen in the hands but it can be the head, the legs, and the torso as well) and those that get worse upon rest (i.e. the hands quietly placed in the lap begin shaking in what we call a "pill rolling" movement).

Since you are telling me that you are having more difficulty DOING things my assumption is that you have the type of tremor which gets worse with actions and thus we would refer to that as an essential or ACTION tremor. The most commonly employed treatment is propranolol and needs to be prescribed by a doctor. I would also recommend that a physician decide upon the schedule and dosage as it will depend upon other factors such as your overall health and other medications you may be taking. In this case you are taking 2 other medications which could have their blood pressure lowering effects amplified by propranolol therefore, decisions would need to be made as to what to do and how to implement this medication. Again, if the type of tremor is an ACTION tremor then, this would be your best choice.

On the other hand if your tremors are more prominent and obvious when the hands are quietly at rest and even get BETTER or OBLITERATE upon doing any activity with the hands (doesn't sound like your case) then, dopamine would likely be your best option since you would be describing then, what we call a PARKINSONIAN type of tremor. Again, the fact is dopamine can be tricky to initiate and difficult to properly titrate and so I would not just purchasing it and attempt its use without careful supervision. You can get into serious trouble with this medication which has all sorts of unwanted side effects if used the wrong way.

Again, to reiterate, both of these medications are prescription only and therefore, purchase would be through a pharmacy of some sort such as CVS, Rite Aid, Medic, etc.

I hope I've provided you with useful and timely information on your problem. If you agree and would be so kind as to provide your written feedback and star rating of our transaction I'd be very appreciative. Also, if you don't have any further questions would you please do me the additional favor of CLOSING THIS QUERY on your end? This will indicate to the network officials that your consult request has been satisfactorily addressed and filed for credit.

I hope you can find a good neurologist who can help you with this common but sometimes delicate problem to handle. All the best. Cheers!

This consult request required 21 minutes of physician specific time for review, research, final draft documentation and envoy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D