Suggest medication for frontal lobe dementia

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: what is the best drugs for frontal lobe dimencia
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Various drugs for frontal lobe dementia

Detailed Answer:
Hi Kxxxxxxxxxxn, thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern. Frontal lobe dementia can be treated by a variety of drugs. There is no single best drug. However, Donepezil is the most commonly prescribed drug for dementia. You are already taking it along with Memantine, CoQ 10, turmeric and vitamin D.

There are few other drugs which can also help in treating dementia. These are

- Antipsychotic medication like Olanzapine is prescribed to treating personality changes/abusive behavior/psychosis.

- antidepressants, SSRI's like fluoxetine is taken to treat anxiety and depression. Treating depression further improves dementia symptoms and memory.

- Rivastigmine or Galantamine can be taken to enhance memory if the patient is not responding to Donepezil.

- Ginkgo biloba, a Chinese herb, can be taken to improve memory.

- Psychostimulant agents e.g., methylphenidate, dextroamphetamine must be used as last resort to treat severe dementia. It is because adverse outcomes are not rare.

Other than drugs, few activities can also help like

- Yoga and meditation - In the initial stage of dementia, if meditation is done regularly, it definitely improves dementia.

- Chess and Sudoku - Playing these games improve abstract thinking and memory.

- Good hydration, eating green vegetables/fruits/curd.

Hope above methods will help you. If you have any doubts, please do let me know.
Thanks. Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee