Suggest medication for bronchitis

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am looking for which antibiotic to take for bronchitis. I have not seen a doctor yet, but get it quite frequently and know I have bronchitis, shortness of breath, coughing up green stuff, super tired, body aches. The issue is I am in China and I would have to go to a hospital, don't have doctors like in the US. Have no one who speaks Chinese who can go with me, hate to go through all of that when all I need is an antibiotic and I think I can get that over the counter here in China. Need a strong one as I was previously in the United Arab Emirates and had bronchitis every 8 months or so. I have a slight case of asthma witch never bothers me until I get bronchitis. I am on singular, seretide disks, nexium, daily.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start flouroquinolone group of antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, possibility of infection is more in your case.
Cough with green phlegm is suggestive of infection only.
So antibiotic is must for you.
Flouroquinolone group of antibiotic like levofloxacin or moxifloxacin is having excellent coverage in bronchitis.
And they are having once daily dosing. So very convenient for patient.
So take levofloxacin or moxifloxacin.
I doubt you get it without prescription because this is prescribed medicine and you need to have doctor's prescription for this.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad