Suggest medication for anxiety that do not cause weight gain

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: i have been on generic zolof for about three years maybe four and now i am having alot of adverse side effects ( i recently filled a new refill and read the brochure that came with it). i have decided to slowly come off of it and i would like to know what kind of medicine for anxiety could i be prescribed. I do not want anything that puts weight gain as i am small framed and have knee problems.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
escitalopram or pregabalin is option with CBT

Detailed Answer:

As such zoloft is very good drug for anxiety. Each drug has its own side effects but it does not mean that each side effect in every patient. Let me know which side effects you have got due to zoloft and on what dose.

For anxiety better option is escitalopram as it causes the least or no weight gain. Other option is pregabalin which may also help in knee pain.

I also recommend Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) for anxiety.

You can discuss options with your treating doctor and change the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
the dose for sertraline hcl tab 50 mg. my side effects sweating, severe fatigue, nausea occasionally, muscle spasms/rigidity, severe trouble sleeping, weakness/unsteady, concertrating/memory problems, agitation, electric shock sensations especially in my right wrist/hand...it would cause me to drop things, and i have actually blacked out twice while driving
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
at 50 mg dose these all side effects are not likely after 3 years

Detailed Answer:

I have prescribed 50 mg to number of patients. But these all side effects together are never there with zoloft. It can occur initially when drug is started but not after 3 years. If you are suffering from most of the side effects since starting the drug, then only drug is responsible.Otherwise symptoms can occur due to fibromylagia anxiety, other drug side effects or some neurological problem.

Before reducing the zoloft ask your treating doctor to verify these facts.

Feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D