Suggest effective medicine to cure loose motions

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My mother is in US and she got loose motions from last 3-4 months. She dignosed with different medicine but still not cured yet.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The reason of having loose stools for last 3-4 months could be-
1.Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
2.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in the intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyp or gastritis.
Please ask her to visit a gastroenterologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required so that proper treatment can be initiated early.

For temporary relief she can start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that she should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for quick reply,

I have sent a mail to my brother where my mom is right now with all your details. So request you to please wait for quite some time till I receive a reply from there.

In the mean time, please let me know its a serious chronic disease and need immediate attention or we can wait for two weeks as she is returning back to India by the end of this month. Also, please suggest any medicine for instant relief.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The loose motions she is having is not life threatening until she replenishes the lost fluids and takes good care of her diet.
She needs detailed investigations by her gastroenterologist before any specific treatment is started.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon