Suggest diet plan to reduce uric acid levels in blood

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi sir,
When I visited doctor because of the pain in my feet he checked my uric acid level which was 6.8 and concluded that pain is because of high uric acid. After using medicine and strict diet it reduced to 3.9 but when I stopped medicine it again went to 7.1Could you please suggest me a way to reduce using diet(without using medicine).Also I am confused on the exact diet that needs to be followed.I am a XXXXXXX and so please suggest me with XXXXXXX food.Also which doctor should I visit should it be urologist or orthopedic?
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For follow up a rheumatologist or orthopedic surgeon is recommended.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi!

Welcome.

I appreciate your concern for the raised uric acid despite dietary restriction.

I can understand your problem and I would like to advice you the following dietary restrictions which are found to be useful in reducing the raised uric acid level;

1. Avoid beans like rajmah, pulses like lentils, tur daal, etc.
2. Avoid taking beer (if you are an alcoholic) as beer is associated with an increased risk of gout and recurring attacks.
3. Avoid foods such as white bread, cakes, candy, sugar-sweetened beverages and products with high-fructose corn syrup.
4. Do regular exercise to loose weight. Being overweight increases the risk of developing gout, and losing weight lowers the risk of gout. Losing weight also lessens the overall stress on joints.
5. Vitamin C. Vitamin C may help lower uric acid levels
6. Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
7. Increase your water intake. Aim for eight to 16 glasses of fluids a day with at least half of that as water. As increase in urine output accelerates the excretion of uric acid
8.Take low-fat or fat-free dairy products, such as low-fat yogurt or skim milk, which are associated with reduced uric acid levels.

A gout diet may help decrease uric acid levels in the blood. While a gout diet is not a cure, it may lower the risk of recurring painful gout attacks and slow the progression of joint damage.
Drugs are also needed to reduce pain (NSAID pain killers) and to lower levels of uric acid (Allopurinol or Sulfinpyrazone).

You may need a proper evaluation and follow up by a rheumatologist (joint disease specialist) or orthopedic surgeon.

Hope I could answer your query.

Should you have anything to ask, kindly send your follow up query.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T