question-icon

Can codeine for back pain cause gout?

Posted on Wed, 7 May 2014
Question: hI MY HUSBAND IS ON CODINE FOR SEVERE BACK PAIN AND NOW HAs a bad case of gout would the codine cause this
Answered by Dr. Praveen (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: Codeine reduces the effectiveness of gout treatment Detailed Answer: Hi dear.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query. According to me, Codeine does not increase the serum uric acid levels which is the cause of gout. It reduces the effectiveness of drugs like probenecid and sulfinpyrazone which are used in the treatment of gout. Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Praveen