Suggest diet for diabetes and high uric acid levels

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: what to eat if diabetes and uric acid high level situation exist
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below!

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thanks for using HeathcareMagic!

Since you have high levels of Uric acid and Diabetes then you should follow some dietary advice to help control these conditions:

1) Achieve a healthy weight.If you are overweight then a gradual, safe weight loss of 1-2 lbs a week can help to achieve an optimal body weight.
-Exercise regularly ( 30 minutes on at least five days of each week).
2)Limit your alcohol intake

3)Drink plenty of fluids during the day (at least 2 liter per day)

4)Avoid or limit foods rich in purines.When purines are metabolised, they are broken down and their end product is uric acid.

a) -Reduce meat (particularly red meat such as beef, pork and lamb), fish and meat from poultry, as these are primary sources of purines. Aim to have no more than one serving of meat/fish/poultry per day, replacing with other sources of protein such as lentils, pulses, eggs or low-fat dairy products. It can be helpful to have 1-2 meat-free days each week.

Foods that are very high in purines include :
-Meat (red meat)
-Fish (Anchovies, crab, fish roes, herring, mackerel, trout, sardines, shrimps, sprats, whitebait).
-Some vegetables including asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, spinach.

b)Limit sugary foods including :biscuits, cakes, sweets, fruit juices and sugary drinks).

Your diet should include :

-Plenty of fruit and vegetables (cherries are helpful )
-Focus on the healthiest carbohydrates, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes (beans, peas and lentils) and low-fat dairy products
-At each meal include starchy carbohydrate foods, eg bread, pasta, chapatis, potatoes, yam, noodles, rice and cereals.
-Consuming low-fat dairy products (skimmed milk, low-fat yoghurt, and low-fat cottage cheese).
-Using more vegetable protein and less meat can help to reduce the amount of purines in the diet - for example, lentils, beans and pulses.

-Fiber-rich foods and a diet rich in whole grains. Fiber can decrease the risk of heart disease and help control blood sugar levels. Foods high in fiber include vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes (beans, peas and lentils), whole-wheat flour and wheat XXXXXXX

Also are important:
-Do not skip meals.
-Eat meals and snacks at regular times every day.

You can consult a physician or dietitian specialist and work with him to prepare your individual diet to help you control these conditions.

Hope my answer has helped.
Wish you all the best.

Dr.Rovena Murati