Suggest an alternative treatment for Roxicet

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: My husband was on Roxicet after having radiation for throat cancer. The radiation affected his saliva gland and he secretes a tremendous amount of phlegm. He said the combination of the ingredients in Roxicet was the only medicine that allowed the phlegm to not clog his throat. We live in Fitchburg MA and the pharmacy that we use has been unable to acquire this medicine for us. I know there are several ingredients that make up this drug so I'm not sure if a generic brand would work. It would be like trial and error using any generic brand. So to make a long story short, can you tell me where we can get Roxicet so we can tell our doctor and pharmacist. Thank you. Sandy XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Roxane/West Ward is the manufacturing company

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Roxicet is a combination of oxycodone (an opiate) and acetaminophen. Opiates have an anticholinergic action/effect which means that they affect certain parts of the nerves in the body including the nerves that affect saliva release.

They reduce saliva release because of the effect on these types of nerves.

Perocet is the same as roxicet just made by a different company. It is made by endo pharmaceuticals company while Roxane labs/ West Ward makes roxicet.
You can contact this drug company to find out who are the distributors of this medication (roxicet) in your area so that it can be sent to your pharmacy.

Alternatively if the perocet is available , this can be used since it is the same drug combination.

There are other medications that also have an anti cholinergic effect (cause dry mouth) though they would not help with pain eg: (1) diphenhydramine (benadryl).

(2) the other medications that can do this are parkinsons meds or psychiatric meds- the dryness is a side effect of these medications but it would be understandable that he would not want to use one of these

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions