Suggest an alternative medicine for Metronidazole

Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: My sister has developed (Giardiasis) She was give a script for Metronidazole. She developed a small rash. She has a weak immune system from chemo for breast ca. Is there an antibiotic that she can take instead of this drug? The source of the giardiasis has been found.
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternatives to Metronidazole include Tinidazole, Paromomycin...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the health situation your sister is going through.

Giardiasis is commonly found in immunocomprimised patients such as your sister (underwent chemo for breast ca).

The most common source is contaminated water. Can send a sample of water she uses to drink to the lab for further tests.

If she has used creational water like spas, lakes, or pools, then, this can be another source of infection too.

Contact with infected persons or handling food without proper hygiene should also consider.

With regards to treatment, Metronidazole is the golden drug choice. If she has developed small rash (allergy) after taking it; then, alternatives include tinidazole in a single dose or paromomycin.

Hope it answered to your primary question.
Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad