Suggest alternative to surgery for tear in scaphonlunate ligamaent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hello im 23 and i have a torn scaphonlunate ligamaent in my left hand I'm left handed and i am very active in and out of work the doctor i seen did a x ray and mri and gave me a steroid shot and that i could go back 2 work told me id have to have a 4 corner bone fusion and won't have any mobility in my wrist cause he is worried about arthritis what would be my other options on surgery to still have mobility and have hand strength in my wrist to do hevey activity
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We can do arthroscopic or open ligament reconstruc

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case; at your age fusion is rarely done.

According to MRI and if required arthroscopy of wrist will help in diagnosis of extent of tear.
We can do arthroscopic or open ligament reconstruction.

Brunellis procedure is to avoid arthritis due to scapholunate instability so it will improve stability and will prevent arthritis.

Physiotherapy with ultrasound and Tens will help you,
For early healing you can take Tab celin [vit C] and antioxidant with anti-inflammatory.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Dr XXXXXXX