Suggest alternative medication for Metronidazole

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 in Infections
Question: metronizodole alternative please?
i have been treated 3 times but the aemeba parasite keeps on doing back

is there something else i can try please
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diloxanide Furate / Tinidazole / Ornidazole .

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Is it by the repeated stool tests and / or just by clinical presentation that you feel amoeba is coming back ?
When was the last course of metronidazole taken, which dosage and for how many days.

Other alternatives are Tinidazole and Ornidazole and Diloxanide Furoate...

If you are in XXXXXXX you can take Dyrade- M DS or Metrogyl compound.
Please discuss and get a valid prescription from your Doctor. Diloxanide Furoate helps to control the cyst forms too.

Also advised is to undergo colonoscopy to decide the cause of recurrent amoebiasis.
And obviously the factors to get a good control are:
Regular nail cutting,
Washing hands with soap every time you visit a bathroom and before eating food.
No outside food at all.
Only home-made fresh foods.
Boiled (for 20 minutes at least) and cooled water is the only sure-shot way of amoeba-free water.

This is a general outline of how to avoid recurrent amoebiasis and I am sure you must be following this.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for any relevant query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
I have been given seconizidole 2 g

Do you think this is also an appriate treatment please advIse
Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes XXXX.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this (Secnidazole 2 gm) is also very effective. It is from the same family of Metronidazole and Tinidazole.
I did not mention this only for the side effects seen in some like nausea, vomiting, giddiness. It too has a good cure rate.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Can you advise on how many days I have to take it for they have given me 4 x 500 grams to take once a day but they didn't say for how many days

Please advise
Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As a single dose of 2 gm = 4 tablets for one day only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Secnidazole can be taken as a single dose of 2000 mg (2 gms) as a single dose, meaning you have to take 4 tablets together as a single dose.
To be take as a single dose means to be taken for Only for 1 day. And no more.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj