Suggest alternative medication for Cyclosporine taken for pure red cell aplasia
However recently the medicine seems not functioning anymore, so she took blood transfusion every month to maintain the red blood cell. I am wondering if there is any alternative drug that may be useful.
Other immunosupressive agents or newer drugs can be used.
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
She has pure red cell aplasia and she is taking treatment for more then 10 years so I assume that there is no underlying cause or the underlying cause is treated.
I have seen few cases in which pure red cell aplasia is treated with cyclosporine and over the period of time relapse of anemia occur. Cyclosporine may not be able to control the disease and patient become transfusion dependent.
In many cases re-induction therapy of cyclosporine is helpful.
If it is not helpful then cyclosporine and cyclophosphamide combination is useful.
Danazol or newer drugs like rituximab can be tried in different combinations.
Allogenic peripheral stem cell transplantation is the other option in refractory anemia which is not responding to drug.
So you should discuss this options with your hematologist and best possible options according to patient condition is used.
Blood transfusion is necessary till other drugs come in to action.
Control of infection by immunoglobulin is also useful in immunosupression.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for usign health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- On ibuprofen for inflammation due to arthritis suggest alternative medication
- Drugs/medication for pure red cell aplasia
- Inflammation in ribs prescribed with ultram suggest alternative medication
- Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete
- Red puss cell medication
- Suggest alternative medication for cough
- Suggest medication to be taken before conceiving
- Can cyclosporin medication increases troponin i
- Suggest alternative medication for mvfe for high creatinine level
- Suggest alternative of soma pain medication