Suggest alternate food for a child who stopped drinking breast milk

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi Doctor,
May daughter is one year old. till now we were giving her Nan pro along with mother's feed (Nan pro 1 till 6 months and Nan pro 2 afterwards). Now, she has almost stopped taking mother's feed and continuing with Nan pro 1 and semi solid food etc.

I have following queries:
1. Shall we start with cow/buffalo milk now or still continue with formula milk only?
2. If we have to continue with formula milk, shall we continue only Nan pro or we can take lactogen as well? Also, I would like to know the difference between Nan pro and Lactogen and which one is better?

Thanks.
xxxxx
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nan pro

Detailed Answer:
Hi
THANKS FOR WRITING TO US.
Let me answer both your questions
1. No need for any formula after one year. Cows milk can be started safely. However start slowly like one feed a day and slowly increase over 10 days while decreasing formula accordingly. Some babies are allergic to cows milk, they may develop vomiting, loose stools, or rash. If so you need to stop cows milk and consult with your pediatrician.
2. Nan pro has less sugar, more probiotics and nucleotides. Slightly better compared to lactogen as it avoids sugar dependence. So continue with Nan pro till you increase cows milk.

Hope I answered your queries.
Let me know if you have any questions
REGARDS
DR XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suggest alternate food for a child who stopped drinking breast milk 18 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for the reply.

One more query regarding starting cow's milk. Shall we add sugar to it or we shall give it to the baby without sugar?

xxxxxx XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Arun 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid sugar

Detailed Answer:
It is always better to avoid sugar.
Use very very little if really required.
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Suggest alternate food for a child who stopped drinking breast milk 42 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.
I have started leaving my one year old daughter in day care for past 3 days. Yesterday when she came back she had a runny nose and cough as well. Whole night she was not able to sleep properly and I could hear the congestion in her nose and also was sneezing many times with nasal discharge.

We had Sinarest AF at home which we have given her twice (yesterday night and today's morning, 0.8 ml every time). We started with sinarest AF as sos as it was late at night. Could you please suggest some medicine which we can give her and if there is a need to visit doctor physically? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Arun 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add nasoclear saline drops for nose

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Usually it is viral infection which causes cold at this age.
I also prescribe nasoclear saline drops for nose three to four times daily to help in clearing nose secretions.
What you are giving is a cold medicine with antihistamines and decongestant. Yes it is appropriate, but if child doesn't settle in a day, it is better to consult doctor to get your baby examined.
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Suggest alternate food for a child who stopped drinking breast milk 31 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Could you please suggest the dosage and the frequency for giving Sinarest AF drops as well?

xxxxx XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Three times

Detailed Answer:
I usually give 0.6 ml at this age three times daily.