Suggest a diet plan for a 4-month- old baby

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: i have a 4.5 month old baby boy. He is 3.5 kgs at the time of birth and around 7 kgs now. As prescribed by our pediatrician, we started him on Nestum rice since the last 2.5 weeks. i feed him two scoops of nestum mixed well with water twice a day between feeds. He is eating well.
i wanted to know when can i introduce pureed fruits/ mashed rice/ ghee etc in his diet. Also when should i change from two to three feeds per day?

please provide me a detailed diet chart for my baby.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest that you give him only breastfeeding till 6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Your kid's birth weight and current weight are absolutely superb. My congratulations for it.

At this age, till 6 months of age I suggest you give him only direct breast-feeding, as these are the World Health Organisation recommendations and the best.

After 6 months of age, you can start giving Cerelac stage one rice or Nestum rice stage 1 etc. All are same in calories and energy. Only thing is palatability which is subjective for each kid.

Other home-made food options will be -
1. Daal and rice well cooked and made into a porridge along with ghee
2. Boiled apple or banana and mashed into a paste.
3. Any made cereal porridge preparation with additional ghee added.

Remember certain principles like -
1. Add one food material / cereal or fruit per week. This will be useful because if he develops vomiting or diarrhoea, we will know what to avoid.
2. Add vegetables and fruits made into a paste surely to avoid constipation.
3. Do not add too much sugar as it may cause diarrhoea.

Rather than giving you time and material bound diet chart, I felt familiarising you with the principles of complementary feeding will put your mind at ease and also give you more options to make your child feeding a better experience.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad