Suffering from shortness of breath and dry throat. What could it be?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I suffer shortness of breath when weather changes, and also I get a dry nose and throat when this happens. I have seen doctors and cannot get a proper diagnosis, I often run to ER for attacks and they test me, and then end up having a humidifer with ventolin for 15 minutes or so then go home.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acute seasonal allergic rhinitis Detailed Answer: Hi sir, I have gone through your query. It suggests that you may be suffering from the acute seasonal allergic rhinitis with or without mild bronchial asthma. In this type of rhinitis symptoms varies i.e. Blocked nasal passages, mouth breathing, frequent awakening, daytime fatigue but most and important symptom is itching over the nose, eye and throat. But for exclusion of the other disease and to reach the near diagnosis you may go for- 1. Absolute eosinophil count 2. Nasal endoscopy 3. ENT consultation. 4. X Ray Paranasal sinuses 5. X Ray chest PA view. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
I do feel that mucus is dry and thick in mouth, I feel my nose is open but dry and if I breath in nose it feels cold and I don't feel it is a good breath , so I breath through mouth. Does these symptoms also confirm with your diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to go for above mentioned investigations Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, Thanks for follow up question. Sir, if you have the itchy nose, throat and eye then there is maximum chances of the allergic rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis have clear mucoid rhinorrhoea, which can be watery and thin, or also somewhat sticky and tenacious, but always clear if it is not having the super added bacterial infection. For clear cut diagnosis better to go for above mentioned investigation. Wish you good health