Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suffering from shivering with high fever, headache. Diabetic, high BP and uric acid, under medication. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions

My father Sh. Radhey XXXXXXX XXXXXXX M 61,Indian suffering from shivering with high grade fever(102.5F), headache .. he is diabetic and high bp under medication. He also on pills for High Uric Acid.

I suspect hime of suffering malaria. I have given him 2 tabs crocin advance.

Suggest treatment. I have lumerax 80 right now. should i give it to him.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you should not give lumerax.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the problem I would advise you to not give empirically antimalarial therapy . Even viral fevers , Urine r/m , Dengue antibodies , peripheral smear for Malarial parasite , widal test . You can give him antipyretics if fever comes . The cause needs to be established before starting medicine .

Kindly seek medical help at earliest .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from shivering with high fever, headache. Diabetic, high BP and uric acid, under medication. Suggest? 11 minutes later

But ferver with shivering comes in malaria not in viral ferver. REcently myself and earlier this month my wife suffered with malaria and treated with lumerax. My wife tested RMA positive and myself RMA negative.

So based on the symptoms, why not advisable lumerax. What side effect can lumerax cause if given to my father aged 61 ?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Based on his age it is not advisable

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Well there is a possibilty that it may be malaria as you had that recently in your family . Viral fever may lead to shivering in old age . I dont advise empirical therapy but you can consult your family doctor if he says you can take it.

It is a safe medicine and no side effects are noted in general.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor