Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Suffering from seasonal affective disorder and Enteric Nervous System. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1851 Questions
I have suffered from SAD since 2006 and since 2009/10 ENS
has made things worse.
My wife and I role reverse so its I who was at home with the children. Oldest is now in her own flat in XXXXXXX. Number 00 is about to start work on north sea oils rigs and hopes to get a flay in Plymouth and number 3 is in her 3rs year at Satfford doing computer forensics (he has Aspergers) Then of course i fell guitly about not wanting them to leave.....
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:

•     60 year old married male
•     Known case of SAD (Seasonal affective disorder)for 5 years and exacerbation from 2009/2010
•     Presence of multiple co morbidities as you are already taking: Mertformin, insulin, Atorvastatin, Asprin and Lorstan
•     Guilt related to role reversal at home and children leaving home gradually

First you need to understand that you are not responsible for the problems, but it is your illness because of that you are facing all these problems. So, never have guilt feeling inside you. Once you will improve things will become better.

Apart from that you need to understand following facts:
•     Your age is already 60 years and people usually retire at this age, so no need to worry about role reversal.
•     Your children leaving home because of work opportunity and not because of you.
•     Ideas of guilt also a symptom of your illness, in which patient feel himself guilty for minor things.

The best way you can help your family member in current situation:
•     Take medicine on time.
•     Keep proper follow up with physician and psychiatrist to control SAD, blood pressure and diabetes, as one illness exacerbate symptom of other illness.

Final message to you: Do not feel guilty as this time will also pass, take medicine on time and enjoy your work (whatever you doing in current situation).

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor