Suffering from pilonidal sinus. How long does it takes to get cured?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: hi, i am suffering from Pilonidal sinus for past 6months..how long will it take for me to join office back if i get it operated? and what if i postpone my surgery for next 5 months?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Pilonidal sinus, is a sinus tract which usually contains hair. It occurs mainly in the buttocks.

For a chronically infected pilonidal sinus, you need to go for surgical excision. If you postpone the surgery, then your suffering will be more. Better to go for surgery as early as possible.

After the surgery, you will be fit within maximum of 7 days.

So, it is better to go for surgery now. Postponement of surgery for next 5 months is not a good idea.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later
Dr Arindam, thank you for your prompt reply. I have no option due to work but to have surgery post March 2013. What can i do till that time to keep it under control. Due to oozing of pus i am not in pain but the discomfort of pus is of-course there. Also do you advise Kshasutra in ayurveda as a good technique for operation as the same claim minimum scalping of skin and joining work back at earliest. Please suggest any good doctor in Delhi that i can visit?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, the surgery that is needed to treat this condition, is very simple, and very short. I told you 7 days as a total time. It does not mean that you have to take 7 days leave. But, you may feel some pain or discomfort till the area heal.

As far as ayurved is concerned, I can not tell you anything about that. I just want to tell you, when a short, simple surgery can treat the condition, why you have to opt for ayurved. It may complicate the situation if it fails.

One thing you must understand, the drugs like antibiotic can give you temporary relief, but it cannot give you permanent relief. You can apply antibiotic ointment locally. It will give you mild relief. Try to keep the area clean, dry.

Consult with any general surgeon in Delhi. I cannot tell you any particular name. You can consult with surgeon for doing operation in weekend.

So, go for operation as early as possible.

Regards.