Suffering from coughing, diagnosed with allergic asthma. Taking Telecast, Defcort and Deriphylline. Adviise?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am suffering from coughing for last 5 to 6 months, most of the time coughing is at night sleeping time, some time it increases for daytime. During daytime the coughing is more during talking or when I am excited due to anger or in case of exertion. During coughing there is no phlegm and it fills me there something is in my throat. I consulted with three doctors, two ENT and one MD chest. Presently taking medicines of MD chest. He tested my blood and urine and taken X XXXXXXX and told me the reports are normal. Its about allergic asthma. The ENT doctors also told me its due to allergy. But I am not getting totally recovered from it. The daytime coughing is less but at nighttime during sleeping it raises and it disturbs my sleep. And through out the day fills something inside the throat. Present medicine I am taking are Tab - Telecast-L, Tab - Defcort 6mg, Tab -Deriphylline R150, Tab - Banocide forte, Syrup - Ascoril.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 45 minutes later

Your doctor’s diagnosis is right. What you seems to be having is allergic bronchitis.

In this condition due to some allergen there is swelling inside the air ways, which leads to narrowing of the tract and difficulty in breathing.

This can happen mostly at night and early morning.

The allergen is difficult to find, could be atmosphere, dust, smoke or pollen etc.

Most the tests are normal in this condition. As your tests.

Please continue the treatment given to you, this seems to fine. You need to complete the course as advised; sometimes this is required up to 4-6 months.

In mean time please do the following which should help.

Avoid cold drinks, fried foods
Avoid strong smell like perfume, incense sticks, anti mosquito liquids coils etc.
Take good healthy diet.
Do regular deep breathing exercise.

Please do regular follow up with your doctor. Your doctor may decide to go for pulmonary function test to look for more information about your lungs if thinks need for it.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh