Suffering from blepharitis and red eyes. Redness increased after using eye drops. Side effect?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I suffer from blepharitis and red eyes, but for the past week my eyes have felt great and looked clear. Yesterday I had an eye exam. The opthamologist dilated my eyes and performed the exam, and at the very end, put in "reversal" drops, which are supposed to counter the effects of dilation. I think the name was "Rev-Eyes XXXXXXX The drops turned my eyes BRIGHT red, and they stayed that way until this morning. Now they are less red, but the lids are more swollen and red and my eyes are much more red than then have been in the last week. How long do the side effects of this drop last? Is there anything I can do to bring down the redness? Did the drop "reset" my eyes to the way they were before they started improving?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Dapiparazol the active ingradiant of Rev eye,probably did not suit you.Some people may be allergic to dialating drops used.
What you have is a drug allergy.This may take 1-3 days to go off completely.
There are anti allergic drops available or anti allergic tablets can be taken.
astringent and lubricating drops will also be useful for you are able to recover from this drug induced allergy.
Please do get back to me in case of further query in this regard.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 16 hours later
Is it worth going back to the ophthalmologist? I am worried that they will say that my because my eyes have been this red in the past, the drops were not the cause. But right before the exam they were clear. And now, after the drops, I can see many maroon-colored veins throughout my eyes. Will this be permanent? Could the drop have caused me to "regress" back to where my eyes were before they improved last week? How long should I give it before starting to worry? It has been about 44 hours since I received the drops. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 17 hours later
Thanks for getting back to us.

Astringent and lubricating drops should be used to get over this problem. I still feel that this has been a drug allergy. You can continue with your treatment which you were having before this eye examination.

You can have anti allergic tablets to supplement local drops.

If any further query do get bqck to us.

Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 11 hours later
My eyes are now bright red. I think using the preservative-free drops has created a toxic environment that is irritating my eyes. I saw the eye doctor today, he said I had a reaction to it but that it should have passed by now. He said the air quality outside is bad so that's why my eyes are red. But this doesn't explain why my eyes were clear before I received this drop.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
thanks for gettiing back to us.
you have to be treated on the lines of drug allergy.Anti allergic drops and oral tablets will do the trick for you.
Any problem ,please do get back to me .