Suggest treatment for blepharitis

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Good afternoon,
I have been fighting an infection in my lower eyelid for several weeks now. I have applied warm compresses daily, used baby shampoo diluted to keep the area clean, have used OTC products for pink eye symptoms. I can't seem to get this under control. It is in the right eye lower lid also but not as severe. When I pull the lid down, it is quite red and has a few purple dots that appear. There is a lump that I can feel in the center of the lid from the outside and at the top of that on the inner lid what appears to be a stye or whitehead but it is not painful. The lump area is. It has been draining puss slightly daily. Both eyes are bloodshot. Left eye where there is the lump is scratchy although I know not to itch the eye. Left eye is crusty in the morning. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice to follow up with an ophthalmologist

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

The symptoms you are experiencing is due to blepharitis (bacterial infection of eye lid) along with infected stye. You will need drainage of the stye(depending on its severity) along with oral antibiotics. So please be advised to follow up with your primary care or ophthalmologist for necessary management.
Meanwhile, apply hot compress on affected eye. Clean the affected eye lid gently to remove crust and take Advil for pain.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal