Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering from back pain. X-ray showed L4-L5 & L5-S1 disc space diminished. Any treatment?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
my father was sufferening from back pain and the x XXXXXXX report shows L4-L5 & L5-S1 disc space are diminished. what is the treatment option for this problem
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

First I would like to know weather that pain associated with:-

* Radiation of pain in lower limb.
* Numbness & paresthesia in lower limb.

On x-ray diminished disc space between L4-L5 & L5-S1 might be due to PIVD (Prolasped inter vertebral disc) these level.

So , if these symptoms are present, get a MRI done to confirm this condition.

Meanwhile I recommend to follow following instructions:-

1) Lie on hard bed.
2) Back physiotheraphy.
3) Anti -inflammatory drugs to reduce the inflammation over nerve roots.
4) Avoid forward bending.
5) Avoid sternous activity & lifting heavy weights.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concern.

wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor