Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Suffering from anger and frustration. Have diabetes, hypertension and prostrate problems. Age related problems?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1015 Questions
Backgroud...85 year old male...type 2 diabetic...Medications: for blood pressure, and prostate/urinary.
After a stay in inpatient pt rehab (out now 2 months) has developed a severe and violent anger problem. He will exhibit severe behaviors such as swearing (this is a man that NEVER swore) and will hit and throw things. Hehas had a brain MRI and CT, and NOTHING is found. What could possibly be the cause of this? It is destroying the family.
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Age and illness can intensify longstanding personality traits in some unpleasant ways that an irritable person may become enraged, an impatient person demanding and impossible to please.

The aging process in and of itself sometimes brings about anger, can be frustration about getting old, having chronic pain, having memory issues.

I advice you try to identify the cause of the anger if possible. In most elderly individuals, behaviors are a symptom of distress. I know it is easy to say but best thing you can do is not take it personally. Focus on the positive, ignore the negative.

When the behavior is out-of-character for an elder, the start of Alzheimer's or dementia is a likely cause.

Regarding the abusive behavior and swearing i advice you try talking to them about how the abusive behavior makes you feel, even though it might not be much of help. If the abuse is verbal or emotional, making them realize all that you do for them, by not doing it for awhile, may prove that they better be nicer to you.

When a swearing tirade sets in, use distraction. Diverting his attention is a simple, but effective technique. Once his mind is redirected, the swearing fit may end.

Try the above mentioned conservative approach if it does not help, i advice you to consult psychiatrist and antidepressant and anti psychotic drugs may be helpful. The family needs a lot of patience. They should show empathy towards such behaviour. Even the family needs some education to help him.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor