Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
194 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suffering from acute pain in hand and shoulder. Having aching and soreness forearm, elbow shoulders and wrist. Suggest medications?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12021 Questions

Posted on Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi doc,
i am 32 year female suffering from acute pain in my right hand and shoulder from last few days. i am a computer engineer and my whole day work evolves around sitting in a chair with a computer and a mouse. Due to prolonged mouse operation with my right hand my arm is giving me a very painful ache.i read online about WMSDs, or Workplace Musculosketetal Disorders and i seem to exhibit the similar symptoms.i have aching, soreness, muscle fatigue in forearm, elbow shoulders and wrist only on my right working hand. i am trying to change the positions of the mouse, sit upright but this pain is bad. Can u prescribe me with some anti inflammatory drug to reduce the pain and maybe a muscle relaxant. i really need to continue working and have no time to take a break.
Thanking you in advance
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms you have are likely to be due to workplace musculoskeletal disorders.
Improvisation of posture, frequent stretch breaks while working and medicines like pain killers and muscle relaxants are recommended for relief.
You can start with ibuprofen 600 mg after meals three times a day along with a muscle relaxant like Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine). Do a hot fomentation twice daily and apply a local analgesic gel like diclofenac gel for an earlier relief.
After the acute pain subsides, it is best to learn some shoulder and neck strengthening exercises from your physiotherapist for a long term relief.
If the pain is persistent then I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Muscle relaxant

doctor1 MD

I have vertigo when i put my head on bed to sleep ,and when i sit from sleeping to get out of bed,i m always lightheaded,dizzy when move head right...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I had a bad spasm in the shoulder area few days back. my arm also got numb at times. the doctor advised some painkillers and muscle relaxants...

doctor1 MD

husband was on operating table for an aortic replacement valve. Went under anesthesia and suddenly his blood pressure went down to 40!! skin became...

doctor1 MD

I m taking 30mg Flexeril and 800mg Ibuprofen for back pain and before I fell asleep last night there was a very intense tightness in my chest and...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with spondylothesis of the L5 and S1 region. I have had an mri and x-rays for my back. I had an epidural injection(2) in Nov...

doctor1 MD

Since yesterday, I have a sharp pain in my right leg at the knee, and above, and the right buttock. It s sharp, stabbing pain in the knee and...

doctor1 MD

I have had pretty sharp pain under my left shoulder blade for the past three days. I was thinking a pulled muscle but I am wondering if it could be...