Suffering from acute pain in hand and shoulder. Having aching and soreness forearm, elbow shoulders and wrist. Suggest medications?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi doc,
i am 32 year female suffering from acute pain in my right hand and shoulder from last few days. i am a computer engineer and my whole day work evolves around sitting in a chair with a computer and a mouse. Due to prolonged mouse operation with my right hand my arm is giving me a very painful ache.i read online about WMSDs, or Workplace Musculosketetal Disorders and i seem to exhibit the similar symptoms.i have aching, soreness, muscle fatigue in forearm, elbow shoulders and wrist only on my right working hand. i am trying to change the positions of the mouse, sit upright but this pain is bad. Can u prescribe me with some anti inflammatory drug to reduce the pain and maybe a muscle relaxant. i really need to continue working and have no time to take a break.
Thanking you in advance
XXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 hours later
The symptoms you have are likely to be due to workplace musculoskeletal disorders.
Improvisation of posture, frequent stretch breaks while working and medicines like pain killers and muscle relaxants are recommended for relief.
You can start with ibuprofen 600 mg after meals three times a day along with a muscle relaxant like Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine). Do a hot fomentation twice daily and apply a local analgesic gel like diclofenac gel for an earlier relief.
After the acute pain subsides, it is best to learn some shoulder and neck strengthening exercises from your physiotherapist for a long term relief.
If the pain is persistent then I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.