Owl Image

Suffered a severe TBI. What does bottoming out mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
In XXXXXXX 2009,,I suffered a severe TBI,,and during the coma my blood pressure XXXXXXX to 187,,my family was told I had bottomed out and the clinic was on their on the way to takes organs.. What does that mean What does bottoming out mean? thank you
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to congratulate you for a remarkable recovery from the stage of near brain death to an excellent brain recovery!

Bottoming out is not a frequently used term in medical practice. However, in your case, bottoming out may mean herniation of brain- due to severe brain swelling, part of brain descends along the foramen magnum (the opening through which spinal cord comes out).

This is a very critical situation for brain, and recovery is rare. It needs medications to reduce brain swelling, mechanical ventilation (artificial respiration) and surgery in some cases.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad.