Suffer from CF with unilateral absence of the vas deferens and azoospermia. Had chlamydia. Any surgical treatment?

Posted on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: I have CF with uni lateral absence of the vas deferens and azoospermia. An ultra sound scan has revealed a singular rudimentary seminal vesicle. My ejaculate volume is very low but was once normal. Is this reduction evidence of a previously functional sperm ejaculation? Also, I contracted chlamydia at age 26 which i believe may have compounded mucus tube blocking. I experienced intermittent pains in the scrotum in my late 20's (tube sealing?).

I am currently going through IVF and would like to know if there is an argument for exploratory surgery to determine the viability of unblocking or recontruction. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Well as you have mentioned, you have CF and unilateral absence of vas deferens. But logically it should not result in azospermia if the other vas is well functioning. I think azospermia and low volume seminal fluid might have resulted from the chlamydial infection - the blocked passages through the vas and the ejaculatory duct.

It's great that you are going for IVF. I wish that you have favorable results.

I don't feel that exploratory surgery would be of much help because there may be various levels of block in chlamydial infection and not be a single one (as encountered in prior vasectomy). In the absence of multiple blocked areas, exploratory surgery is not useful.

I hope I have been able to answer your queries. Please let me know if you have any other query in future.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Biswajit Dash

Infertility Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 182 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Vasectomy

doctor1 MD

I have been dealing with pain around my testicals for a little over a month. Ultra Sound came up abnormal on right testical. The test was repeated...

doctor1 MD

I had a vasectomy performed 10 days ago, and am still having pain in my left testicle. The left is now hanging much higher than the other, and...

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...

Is there a problem if you have keloid skin and want a vasectomy...i...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had an abortion about 3 days ago, it wasn t something my partner and I wanted, I was wondering, how soon after can you get pregnant again?...

doctor1 MD

hi, I am planning to do undergo vasectomy operation during January. I heard they are 4 types of surgery on this regard. which one is the best and...

doctor1 MD

I recently had a post vasectomy semen analysis test completed. The results were "Rare sperm observed (<1/HPF) from a centrifuged specimen". I am...

doctor1 MD

The lower left testicle is sore to the touch. It feel like a strain except I can feel a sm marble size knot , firm but not hard.

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction