Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suffer from Anxiety. Getting pains in head and ears with pins and needles in hand. Blood work done. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Good evening

I suffer from
Anniety and I keep getting sharp pains in head.. Bad ears.and headaches . Pin and niddles in left side in hand and I being to my doctor said go for blood tests -
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Severe headaches usually deserve a keen evaluation to permit distinction of a primary headache (Migraines, cluster headache, tension headache) from secondary headaches(infection, trauma, tumours, abscesses etc).

It might be important to know if you have any past history of hypertension, head trauma, weight loss, chronic fevers or not? Headaches generally bilateral, accompanied by nausea and vomiting, at times visual disturbances and following the menstrual cycle could be migraine. Cluster headaches are severe generalized headaches with eye manifestation like pain and tearing, accompanied with nasal discharge. Tension headaches will be more intense in the neck and could sometimes spread to the ear.

Distinguishing whether the pain originates from the ear and is referred to the head, or from the head and referred to the ears is a fundamental distinction necessary. A careful ear examination, or past history of ear infections or disease could be important to be precised.

A proper clinical review by your neurologist might necessary to make a proper diagnosis. Other blood tests, Brain CT scan or special ear exams could be helpful.

The pin and needle sensation are generally signs of nerve disease. Depending on the mode of unset of symptoms, acute or gradual, the intensity, other associated signs like pain, muscle wasting or atrophy and muscle power or force could orient on the possible cause of such disease. The causes could range from a compression of a nerve, systemic diseases or Vitamin Deficiencies.

My suggestion is booking an appointment with the neurologist for a proper clinical review. Aspects from past medical history, physical and neurological examination, coupled with some laboratory and Radiologic examinations (CT scan) should be appropriate to make an exact diagnosis.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. I shall be honored making my little contribution to your well being. Thanks and best regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer from Anxiety. Getting pains in head and ears with pins and needles in hand. Blood work done. Advise? 16 minutes later
Good evening

I have had food poisoning 2 months ago In Thailand and inner ear infection and its being on going I was in hosiptial and still affected with viral infection. Being back 2 months and had all theses systoms Since - being checked over with my head aches and I get pain around my ears... Side head and nose and vision being checked ? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I suggest you shall need a review of the ear affected by your ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) Specialist. Consult an ENT specialist and a Neurologist. Ear infections when complicated could spread to the brain and cause meningitis or brain abscesses. I strongly suggest you get a review from these specialists. Thanks so much and best regards.

Will be honored and willing to answer your worried.

Best regards as I wish you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor