What could be the reason for having intermittent pain in left abdomen?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Last 10 days, 2 or 3 episodes/day, sharp throbbing pain, left abdomen, level with navel. Pain seems to radiate vertically over 4-5 inches. Comes on quickly (30 sec), lasts 1-5 minutes, decreases over 30 sec to 2 min. Does not seem related to time of day, full or empty stomach, or timing related to bowel or bladder activity. Thank You- XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Partial bowels obstruction is possible. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such type of pain is most likely caused by intestine spasm. Intestines can give such pain if there is an obstacle which impedes stool passage or if the bowels movements due to some irritation are accelerated. As you are over the age of 50, large intestine issues causing partial bowels obstruction should be ruled out at first. It is because the risk of colon cancer significantly increases over 50. Other possible symptoms pointing to large intestine issues are diarrhea or/and constipation, weight loss, blood in stool, bloated abdomen. Other possible reason of your pain is gastrointestinal infection due to some food poisoning. With this issue, usually diarrhea and nausea appears. I suggest you to visit your doctor, have abdominal ultrasound (and X-ray if your abdomen is bloated) and get scheduled for colonoscopy. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. Stanko. I have no symptoms other than the periodic episodes of pain. I am scheduled for a visit with my family doctor in 3 weeks and will ask his advice (and recommended tests) at that time. I'll just grit my teeth in the mean time. Thank you for your quick response. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: In a meanwhile please try hot bath, Buscolisine, Metamizole which should help with the pain. Regards.