Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Steps from childbirth to adulthood in the muscular skeletal system

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12668 Questions
What are the exact steps from childbirth to adulthood that the musculoskeletal system goes through to reach 206 bones?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

At the time of birth the baby all the 206 bones- though not ossified. Each bone has its ossification center and a growing end. Gradually as the child grows, the bones also grow in one direction and become ossified and become stronger. Each bone when it reaches the adult size, its growing end fuses and the bone further stops increasing in length. All these changes are hormone dependent changes. The ossification and mineralization of bone continues upto some extent.

Similarly all the muscles are also present since birth. The muscle mass only grows as the age advances. You can get multiple images on bone growth and development on internet search.

I hope my answer is adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor