Started vomiting severely. All blood test normal. What could be causing this?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband has been vomiting nonstop for aboutt 2 weeks now. We have been to our family physician 4 times and the ER. They have done multiple workups on him. All blood tests are normal. Ct and cxr normal. Flu test and strep test negitive. I do not know what this could be. Any possibilities? Please respond. He also is coughing up alot of stuff out of his lungs which I thought was good to help get it out of there but he cannot stop vomiting.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

There could be possibilities of peptic ulcer disease, gastroparesis (weak gastrointestinal motility), ischemia heart disease (very rarely).
Presence of heart burn and vomiting signifies the diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease.
Coughing may be secondary to persistent vomiting; throat may get irritation by recurrent vomiting.
Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer and adenocarcinoma of stomach.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up & endoscopy.
You should also go for breath urea test for H. pylori infection.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.
He shouls also go for complete hemogram, x XXXXXXX abdomen (to rule out intestinal obstruction), ultrasound imaging and serum electrolytes and electrocardiogram (ECG).
Your husband should maintain his hydration either by oral intake (if possible) or by intravenous fluid after getting admission in hospital.
He should take prokinetics (which increases gastrointestinal motility) along with antiemetics on written prescription.
He should take frequent small amount meals.
Avoid tomatoes, legumes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, spicy and oily food.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava