Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Started pain in chest due to drinking drinks. Have swelling of thyroid and nodules. Is this thyroid related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I'm having real trouble with drinking drinks and its causing pain through to my chest. I feel like I'm straining to Talk as my voice Is very strained and husky and I have pressure in my neck, I have seen endocrinologist who have said I have a swelling of my thyroid and nodules . But that they can't be causing my symptoms. If bend down to pick up something I go bright red, Plus I have facial flashing on one side of face with heavy pulsating. I am at my wits end and really don't know what this is . Could this be a Thyroid problem even though my thyroid function is apparently fine. My T4 level is apparently 1.23 My TSH is 10.9. I have pain When swallowing any kind of liquid and my throat is getting Worse and my speech poorer by the day . I had ultrasound and it showed nodules , none that could apparently cause any symptoms, plus enlarged thyroid .
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is possible for you to have a thryroid enlargement, along with symptoms related to that, and still have a normal thyroid function test. This can be seen in a condition called auto-immune thyroiditis or Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Some people with Hashimoto's, especially those with a larger goiter (thyroid swelling), may feel discomfort or pressure in the neck area. Sometimes, the neck and/or throat is sore or tender. Less commonly, swallowing or even breathing can become difficult if a goiter is blocking the windpipe or esophagus.

However, the assessment if your thyroid swelling is large enough to compress any underlying structures and thereby result in all your symptoms can be made only with help of a clinical examination and ultrasound scan.

So, I would suggest that you discuss about this in detail with your doctor. If he still feels sure that that clinically and with the ultrasound result, your thyroid enlargement is minimal and cannot be associated with your symptoms, then you need other evaluations to establish the cause of your symptoms.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor