Sore breasts after breast feeding. Fever, body ache, nausea. On panadol, ibruprofen. What else can be done?
Thank you for submitting your query.
As per your history, your wife is suffering from lactational mastitis. This is a condition which occurs due to infection or due to blockage in the ducts and patients commonly have breast pain, swelling, warmth and redness of the breast along with fever and chills.
I would suggest the following:
a. Please consult a gynaecologist who can examine her and prescribe her a course of oral antibiotics like flucloxacillin and cephalexin
b. Frequent drainage of the breast through feeding and expressing the milk using a breast pump
c. The application of heat on the affected breast would also help. You could consider using a heating pad or a hot water bottle.
d. She can take tablet aspirin 325 mg every 6 hourly to reduce the pain and inflammation
e. It is also important that she maintains the correct position while feeding the baby. To get details on the correct position, please visit WWW.WWWW.WW for details.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sore throat fever body aches mucus
- What can be done for sore throat fever body ache
- Medicine for fever nausea diarrhea body aches
- Fever sore throat body aches chills after drinking all night
- Sore eyes rash fever body aches
- Headache body aches fever nausea diarrhea
- Chills body ache diarrhea nausea no fever
- Headache fever nausea stomach pains and body aches
- What is the treatment for fever and body ache
- Sore throat body aches nausea