question-icon

Small non palpating mass (about size of a quarter) felt

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2019
Question: Small non palpating mass (about size of a quarter) felt just above navel on centerline. Discomfort when pressed and mild constipation. Is this a hernia or should I be more worried?
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu (17 minutes later)
I visited an urgent care doctor 4 days ago who felt the small soft mass in the center of my abdomen during a stomach exam. He also said it’s nothing that he would send me to the ER for as of that day but definitely follow up with my primary care physician. I can’t get an appointment for two weeks and I assume tests are needed but am worried of what it could be since there is actually a mass.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please get an abdominal ultrasound done...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:

1. what you are feeling like a mass may be related with--
- small intestinal hernia
- lipoma of abdominal wall.
2. It is important to do 'abdominal ultrasound' to better evaluate if it is related with small bowels or with the abdominal wall.

Meantime I would recommend avoiding constipation by having plenty of water and lots of vegetables.

Hope it was helpful to you.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Klerida Shehu
Gastroenterologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist